Monday, April 30, 2007

Footie (aka Australian Rules Football)

Footie seems to be the national sport here in Victoria. Some might say that it is Cricket, but that's boring (sorry to my Australian friends for that statement, give me a few more years, maybe I change my opionion :) Footie to me seems like a combination of Rugby and American Football. Compared to American Football it's much more action (there are hardly any breaks) and no protective clothing.

My first live Footie game was Richmond Tigers vs West Coast Eagles last Saturday. The game took place in the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground). It's huge (as you can see on the picture), when sold out there are about 95,000 people inside. That wasn't the case last Saturday but nevertheless it was loud and a great experience. Daniel and I supported the Tigers, but they had no chance. We were even more concerned with getting to understand the rules and getting enough beer - it was a gorgeous afternoon (and a funny evening :)

Thanks to Daniel for the pics & the great time I could spend with you in Melbourne - Dankeschön!

No comments: