Saturday, January 10, 2009

Arrival in Sheffield, UK

Why 2 separate water taps?
Why 2 separate water taps?,
originally uploaded by bernd ploderer.
From Jan to April 2009 I am a visiting student at Sheffield Hallam University in the UK. I will use these 3 months to to get to know other people with related research interests and to make some progress in my thesis.

My impressions after 2 days are predominantly positive. Sheffield seems to be a nice town, although it's actually quite big. My uni is close to where I live, directly in the city centre. My host and my colleagues here have been very supportive and I think that I will have a good and hopefully productive time here.

Two things that I can't understand however are: Why is it impossible to get good coffee here? (tea is nice, but it can't replace coffee) And why do old and new basins have two separate water taps? In this way you can chose between burning your hand or freezing, hmmm...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear you had a nice arrival in England.
Yesyes, Island-People (and England still is an island ;) are sometimes a little bit strange... *g*

2 Water taps -> This is England!
You can't find "normal" or better said "used-to" Bath-room stuff over there, maybe the reason is that there seems to be only one provider of bathroom-installations all over GB. I've never seen other stuff than "Armitage Shanks" ;)
But i can tell you why to hell there are these two taps. it is cause english people are using there sink in a completely different way. They use to close the sink an use it like a water basin where they keep the water during der Washing process instead of "our" way of washing ourselves ;) It's always funny to learn about different countries, different people and different habits ;)

SeeYa
Jürgen